Still relatively new to blogging after 3 months, with a small following of 76 people on WordPress and 79 on Facebook, I have had the honour to be nominated for this blogger award twice again. Soon after I posted about my first award LIEBSTER AWARD (Q+A Plus 11 Facts about Me)I was nominated again by Jade Mayhead but time constraints kept me from responding to her nomination. In the meantime, a 3rd blogger, Sam Avalos of the makeup armor blog nominated me a couple of days ago. So I thought I can’t procrastinate this any longer and I might as well kill two birds with one stone here.
So firstly I would like to thank both ladies for appreciating my blog and nominating me again. Jade blogs about all things makeup and her life and I love her Makeup Collection series. Sam’s blog is beautiful in content and layout and I absolutely love her photos and how fresh her blog looks and feels! I am honoured that both these bloggers thought I was worthy of mention and I hope you check out their blogs and enjoy reading their posts.
So what is this Liebster Award? It’s an opportunity for bloggers to promote their blogs as well as informing their followers and readers of other bloggers by continuing the nominations further. The rules of the award are:
- The nominated blogger must acknowledge who has nominated them and also share their links
- Share 11 facts about themselves
- Answer the 11 questions that they have been asked
- Nominate 11 more bloggers whose blog they recommend
- Ask 11 questions that they would like those bloggers to answer
- Let the bloggers they’ve nominated know that they’ve been nominated.
So here it goes!
Firstly, brace yourselves for 11 (not very exciting) facts about me:
- I have dimples in my cheeks but they are not symmetrical.
- One of the questions from Sofia in my first nomination was “What useless talent do you have”? I couldn’t think of one at the time but shortly after publishing my post I was reminded at work, after I accidentally startled my colleague Rebecca for the 5th time, that I am very talented at startling people without meaning to!
- When my then boyfriend/ now husband and I first moved to the UK we were besotted with hedgehogs and wanted to get one as a pet. But we soon discovered that although they are the cutest of creatures, hedgehogs are also quite filthy. So we changed our minds and got a hedgehog garden gnome instead.
- I was never interested in cooking until I turned 30 when I was working in Athens. Living abroad by myself made me miss and appreciate my mum’s and grandmother’s home-cooking which is why I started asking my mum for her recipes and trying them out. My Cypriot dishes are now my husband’s favourite food.
- Last year I took a calligraphy class. It wasn’t easy.
- I am currently moving from Manchester back to Cyprus to re-start my life back in my homeland and I just realised this would be the 6th time I’ll be moving from the UK back to Cyprus. The first time I was a toddler, 2 times I returned to Cyprus after my UK university studies and twice before I was seconded to work in Southampton and then returned home.
- I love spas, spa treatments and pampering and cannot for the life of me understand people who don’t like massages.
- Even though I’m an absolute coffee addict and only drink tea if I have a sore throat or a cold I do like English teahouses and I enjoy afternoon tea with cucumber sandwiches once in a while.
- I love colours – experimenting with colourful makeup, clothes and accessories.
- I used to love red wine but about 10 years ago I suddenly developed an allergic reaction to it that gives me awful headaches. So now I drink mostly white and sometimes rose wine but avoid red.
- Did I mention that I love makeup and blogging about it?
Now, on to Part 2 and onto the 11 questions from Jade and the other 11 from Sam. Jade’s questions were:
1. What has been your favourite experience this year? Taking a makeup masterclass and passing my MUA exam.
2. How many siblings do you have? Two. A sister and a brother. I’m the middle child.
3. What 5 makeup products are your holy grails? If I was only allowed one makeup item it would be concealer. So my first product would be a good under-eye concealer such as Kat Von D’s Lock It.
A full coverage foundation (such as Estee Lauder’s Double Wear) would have to be my second.
A nice shimmery highlighter such as MUA’s or MAC’s strobe cream for an under-foundation skin glow would be my third.
My current mascara, Maybelline’s faux cils Push up Angel is the best mascara I’ve ever had for its unlikelihood to smudge my short eyelashes. It separates and gives them a naturally defined look without creating a mess.
Finally, my MAC No.227 eyeshadow brush is the best brush for blending EVER!
4. Do you prefer a bold lip or a natural lip? I’m recently liking lip glosses but I’m usually inclined to go for a bold red or fuchsia lip so natural lip is definitely not my style.
5. What is the story behind your blog name? Funnily enough the name From Vanity to Sanity just came to me without much thought. I wanted something catchy to capture the spirit of my favourite past time, makeup. I thought beauty is vain but writing about it somehow makes it more sane! Does it make sense?
6. What is one makeup product that you regret buying? There’s a few makeup products I invested in over the years without reaping any benefits. One of them was a silver Bobbi Brown glittery eyeshadow. It was hard-pressed so not easy to apply but once applied it was just a messy mass of glitter everywhere.
7. Do you have any pets? Not at the moment but looking forward to owning a house with a garden one day, rather than a flat, so that I can have a few different pets.
8. How would you describe your wardrobe? Colourful.
9. In what order do you apply your makeup? I start with primer, concealer, foundation (if I have time: contour and highlighter), followed by blusher. If I have time I will apply eyeshadow and eyeliner. If not, I skip that step and just apply mascara before my lip gloss or stick. I end with a fixing spray.
10. Are you a brushes or a sponge person? I use mostly brushes but sometimes use a beauty blender for foundation and concealer.
11. Do you have any superstitions? When I’m scared I might hear bad news I knock on wood. Sadly it doesn’t work.
Next are Sam’s questions (with my answers):
- What is your favorite movie?
As a child I loved The Sound of Music and watched it over 30 times. As a grown up I never thought of a favourite film. But one film that really moved me and made me think and I would like to watch again was American Beauty with one of my favourite actors, Kevin Spacey.
As I already mentioned earlier in this post and in my first Liebster Award post I am addicted to coffee so you may have known the answer to that already.
- What is your favorite step in your makeup routine?
I enjoy the whole ritual of putting on makeup but my most favourite part would be the last one – applying a pop of colour on my lips, in the form of a lipstick. Even if I don’t have time to apply other products such as eyeliner, mascara or blusher, a red lippy will always save the day!
- What made you create your blog?
I was inspired by a makeup masterclass I signed up for in April and by my instructor, owner of the KLMA Makeup Academy, Kiera Louise Harrison. You can read my 3-part interview with her from my previous posts Interview with my MUA teacher (Part 1), Interview with my MUA teacher (Part 2) and Interview with my MUA teacher (Part 3) and you can see for yourselves why I was so inspired.
- Your spirit animal and why.
Like the ancient Egyptians who considered cats to be deities, I too am fascinated by these creatures. They are elegant, sophisticated, smart, independent and very-very cute.
- All time favorite band/singer?
Kate Bush of course. I already mentioned this in one of the facts about me in my first Liebster nomination post.
- Any quotes that keep you motivated/happy?
I love the quote that goes “I could stop buying makeup but I’m not a quitter!”
- Last movie/show you saw on Netflix?
Orange is the new black.
- What is your favorite summer trend?
As I brace myself for the 40+ degrees heat in Cyprus I will have to endure going back in the peak of summer, I think the slick hair side parting will be my go-to look for going to work with freshly washed hair every day.
I love NYX for their affordability and range of products, vivid colours and range.
Audrey Hepburn – the ultimate symbol of elegance and class.
Now that I’ve answered Sam’s question I have to nominate 11 other bloggers to do the same. My 11 nominees are:
I enjoy reading each one of these blogs, whether their subject matter is makeup, lifestyle, internal or external beauty and often feel inspired by them. I hope you check them out too.
The questions I want to ask them are:
- What inspired you to start your blog?
- Who is your favourite beauty icon / celebrity of all time?
- In no more than 5 words, what is it that you love about makeup?
- How much time do you spend blogging weekly?
- Which is your favourite genre of music?
- Which makeup product can’t you live without?
- Which person has influenced you the most in your life?
- What is your favourite drink?
- How much time do you usually spend on your daily makeup routine?
- Which is your next travel destination?
- Which is your favourite book and why?
I hope you enjoyed reading this post (even though it was pretty long). I hope the nominees have fun answering my questions and continuing the nominations!